Classics Club Spin: I got Howards End

I participated in The Classics Club’s Spin #5 and the magic ball that rolled out is #20. Boy, I didn’t see that one coming. So I got Howards End. When I posted my list last week I couldn’t decide between Howards End and A Passage to India. Those of you who’d read both said that you liked Howards End better so I finalized my list over the weekend.

I’m okay with it. I only put books on the list that I wanted to read. Howards End was lower on my list than some of the other books but I’m looking forward to it as I have yet to read E.M. Forster!

Have you read Howards End? If so, what did you think of it? If you also participated in the Spin, what book did you get?

18 comments on “Classics Club Spin: I got Howards End

I have not yet read anything by Forster. I hope you like it!

Yay! I got A Wrinkle in Time. :)

3. I have seen films and BBC TV adaptations of Forster’s novels (I highly recommend the 1992 movie of Howard’s End, starring Emma Thompson) but Howard’s End is the only E.M. Forster novel I’ve actually read. I read it about five or six years ago and I enjoyed it very much. Hope you like it!

I’m so glad to hear that! I have only read good things about it. I need to confess that I chose the book in part because I knew I could see the movie adaptation (and a good one at that)! Thanks for the recommendation :-)

Cool! I got The Long Ships by Bengstsson. I think it’s a history of the Vikings. I saw it on someone else’s long list and it looked interesting.

I got Great Expectations. NOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, Howards End is great.

LOL! I keep feeling like I should read Great Expectations, but it seems that everyone has the same reaction about it…

I just started Howards End and really like it so far!

6. I’ve only read Passage to India but not Howard’s End. I was a little shocked by my Spin book (The Seven Storey Mountain) but it’s supposed to be excellent so hopefully my attitude will change. :-Z I hope you like your Spin book and will look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

I haven’t heard of The Seven Storey Mountain (will look it up) but hope that it is better than you expect! I’m just 20 pages into Howards End but I like it so far! Good luck with your book!

7. Brona says:

I went through an EM Forster phase in my early 20’s and read the lot. Howard’s End was enjoyable, but not my favourite.
    The movie wasn’t bad either, if that helps you get into/through it :-)

Good luck

I just started it last night and am really enjoying it! I didn’t expect it to be kind of humorous, actually. It’s encouraging to hear that Forster’s other books might be even better. I’ll definitely watch the movie after I finish the book. Thanks for stopping by!

8. I haven’t read Howard’s End, but I’ve only heard good things. Happy reading! I look forward to reading your review.

I am curious about your review, Cecilia. I have not read Howard’s End and look forward to your insights.